Aldworth Giants De la Beche Manor



Legend of the Aldworth Giants at St. Mary's Church

Aldworth Giants

The place and reason the Aldworth Giants are named by that name

In st. Mary's Small and Simple Church, there are stone statues known as the Aldworth Giants, the name given to them because they are all more than 7 feet high and are said to be life-sized. These statues belong to members of the De la Bish family.

De la Beche family 

After the Duke of William of Normandy crossed a giant fast road ​across the English Channel and took over London, his supporters tracked him down in search of land and wealth. Among them was the De la Bish family, who acquired many properties and built two castles, one of which was a legendary castle in the Aldworth Church Berkshire area. Although it no longer exists, the church includes the last descendants of the family.

De la Beche family

 In the first half of the 14th century, the de la Bish family had a great influence, and many of the family members represented in the church were powerful knights. Sir Robert was the largest family member buried there, and his grandson Sir Philip was a servant of Edward II. He and his sons took part in a rebellion against King Edward II in 1322. But they were defeated, but fortunately, they were captured and imprisoned for five years instead of beheaded. In 1327, Edward III, who was now king, acquitted them and restored their lands and positions. Sir Philip's son Lord Nicholas tried to become an integral part of the English Empire under Edward III. He served as the District Attorney for Gascony Constable Tower and was the guardian of Edward III's first son until his death in 1346.

Aldworth Church Berkshire

They fill the chapel as if they reminded spectators of their great achievements. The first family members first seen upon entering the church were Sir Robert de la Beach, his son Sir John and John's son Sir Philip, Sir Philip had six sons and one daughter, John, Philip, Nicholas, Edmund, Robert, Edward, and Joan. The church dish houses the statue of Philip I's son Sir John along with Sir John Isabella's wife and younger brother Lord Nicholas de la Beach. Lord Nicholas' brother Sir Philip and their mother Mrs. Joan are located along the south corridor of the church, also under arched stone curtains. There is a statue of The Son of Lady Isabella John, who died in 1340 at the age of 20 and is believed at this time to have been built.

Aldworth Church Berkshire

The stone relics of the Aldoruth Giants right now

Although stone monuments can still be seen to this day, they were vandalized during the Cromwell system and were therefore severely mutilated and lost limbs and other accessories. The statue of Isabella and Young-Joon, who lost their heads, was most severely damaged. One statue of John Ever Avraev later disappeared. Legend has it that the magnificent stone memorials in St. Mary's Church actually belong to giants known as John Long, John Strong, and John Ever Ever Ever. This is believed to be due to the sheer size of the statues. The legend of John Ever Afraid is very famous. Legend has it that he sold his soul to the devil for the sake of earthly riches. According to their deal, the devil can claim the spirit of John at death whether buried outside or inside the church to deceive satan.  He buried his body inside the walls of the church and placed his statue in a skylight on the outer wall of the church.

John Ever Afraid

So what happened to John?

His body is said to have been buried under the wall, where the bow appears from the outside. The mystery of his lost statue may never be solved, although there are theories about where it ended up being moved to St. Lawrence Hungerford Church.

Corn Exchange

distinctive image of one of the 'giants' in St. Mary's Church.

A show was held during corn exchange's summer outdoor event throughout West Berkshire, in which the story of John Ever Afraid was shown, and an 18-foot giant doll representing John Ever Ever Ever was shown on the streets. It's a family-friendly event that celebrates the rich mystery surrounding this local legend.

Sources: aldworthvillage